Monday, April 20, 2009

In the mood for tapas...

Bob and I decided to move from Downtown Chicago to Evanston, Illinois during his last year in law school. There we found a fantastic tapas place that was not only tasty but a bargain. While I still miss that place, I was quite excited when I found out that Barrio, a new tapas place downtown on High Street, would be opening. A few weeks ago, we finally ventured to Barrio on a Saturday night. In full disclosure, this was my first restaurant experience since going gluten free and I was very nervous about the whole situation. Bob knew this and emailed Barrio a week beforehand to see if they could accommodate me. They responded that they could and many of their items would be fine for me to order. The reservation was made and off we went.

The server was very helpful and not only went to check on what dishes I could eat, he even stated that he would double check with the chef on anything I ordered. I was able to order almost all of the cold tapas plates and many of the hot plates. After choosing a few dishes we enjoyed their delicious Sangria. I must say that while everything we had was tasty, I could eat their bacon wrapped dates all day and night. Overall, the staff were very polite and accommodating throughout the entire process and they seem happy to answer questions.

While not quite the affordable haven of my beloved Evanston tapas joint, Barrio does help fill the void.

For more information, feel free to visit their website: http://www.barriotapas.com/

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment